Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Come Together: Help for Anissa Mayhew

In the span of less than 24 hours I've heard two horrible, heartbreaking stories that make me want to squeeze my husband and babies and hold them and not let them out of my sight.

First, last night I read about a fellow blogger and Twitter Mom, Anissa Mayhew, who had a massive stroke yesterday afternoon. Anissa is a very popular blogger and has three children. Her youngest, daughter Peyton, just celebrated one-year of being cancer free after fighting leukemia since she was 2 years old. How much can one family bear? And why should they have to bear so much. I find this especially horrifying for some reason. I don't know Anissa, but I feel for her as a fellow mother. I know how much I love my husband and my children and the idea of being yanked away from them in this manner is gut-wrenching. I feel so sad for Anissa, her husband, and her babies.

Then, this morning, I heard from another friend about one of her neighbors whose daughter was stillborn at 39 weeks just a few days ago. The baby's umbilical cord became knotted and she died.

It breaks my heart. All this loss and suffering and sorrow. I don't understand it. And I hate it. And to be honest, it all just shakes my faith a little too much.

I won't stop praying, though. I can't. Because it feels like the only thing any of us can do. I know that's not entirely true.

In fact, there is something we can do to help Anissa's family. If you are in the Atlanta area, or if you want to send a gift card to a restaurant, Blockbuster, or something that can help keep her kids occupied and entertained, you can go here for information on how to help.

4 comments:

ViolinMama said...

Thank you for all your prayers, and for sharing about Annissa. I will go check her link...that rips my heart out.

God alone knows...wow....

Love you!

Rachel said...

Thank you for the prayers for our wonderful, strong friend. And for the reminder that gift cards are a blessing for the family right now.
xoxo

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

Thank you for posting the link to help with gift cards. Anissa is such an amazing woman, whom I've had the pleasure of meeting. I've had the same feelings as you these last couple of days.

Velvet & Tweed said...

What a touching story. Our hearts go out to Anissa and her family. She is an inspiration of strength.