Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Sweet Jane

Finally, I get to write about Saturday night!

First, I just want to say, that if you are in Atlanta, you have to go to one of the remaining 4 nights of 500 Songs for Kids at Smith's Olde Bar. If you have an extra $100 go to Saturday's show. It will be jam-packed with terrific performers, including Gnarls Barkley's own Cee-Lo singing the final song of the night.

I'm going to get this right finally... This year's songs are the... wait for it... 500 Greatest Sing-a-long Songs.

Scott performed song #380, The Velvet Underground's Sweet Jane. What a great song and a perfect fit for Scott! He was very true and I thought he was fantastic. The crowd seemed to agree.

My other favorites of the night included:

Why the Fly covering Hansen's Mmm Bop
Heather Luttrell's cover of Georgia on My Mind (this woman has an amazing voice!)
Grace Buford singing Over the Rainbow
Charlotte, NC band The Sammies doing AC/DC's Thunderstruck (kicked major ass!)
Xylah throwing down by mixing a little Pinball Wizard into her performance of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit
Love Rush's faithful cover of Better than Ezra's Good
The Julia Dream's cover of The Flaming Lips' She Don't Use Jelly
and
Audrey Spillman's sensual rendition of Aretha Franklin's Natural Woman.

Those are just my favorites. Everyone worked really hard to put on a great show and these are just a few of the ones that really stood out. All of these musicians gave their time and talent to a very worthy cause and for that they should all be applauded.

Go see live music, people! Wherever you are. These musicians work hard at something they love. Let them know you appreciate them!

2 comments:

Cyn said...

It sounds so fun!
I wish I had the extra $100 to spend or else I would definitely go!

Report back to us if you end up going!

Dawn said...

Unfortunately, that's not in my budget right now although if it were, I'd be there. Except for the fact that I promised another local band that we'd be at their homecoming show Saturday night. Not sure that one's going to work out either.

But it was so much fun to hear everyone's take on a familiar song. Some were very faithful covers, while others were a bit more... experimental.